Home



democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone (Page 3) / Alt Energy Politics Group / Alternate Energy Resource Network - Community

Alternate Energy Resource Network - Community





Join our alternative energy + green tech community as a member or start a group and help mainstream these important technologies vital to a thriving sustainable future for the planet.

For everyone who wants to start a group, simply register and post a request in any current group and we'll set you up. You get full moderator privileges and full control of your group. We're adding polls, photo galleries and other features that will help you continue your group activities on a fast, free and stable platform. Unlimited FREE storage for files on the way. Groups focused on renewable energy, environment, climate change, alt energy diy, off grid living, tiny homes, container living, sustainable development, hydrogen+fuel cell development, electric vehicles etc and related groups are welcome here.


You are not logged in.

#91 2021-03-03 17:00:51

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Georgia House Approves New Restrictions As GOP War On Voting Rights Intensifies
Since Trump’s loss, Republicans "have made opposing voting rights the central tenet of their party,” one lawyer said.


https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/geo … 75ac3fcf75

The Georgia House of Representatives on Monday approved a sweeping election overhaul bill that would place new voter ID requirements on absentee ballots and limit weekend voting ― becoming the latest Republican-controlled state legislative chamber to place additional restrictions on voting in the wake of former President Donald Trump’s loss in November.
Georgia and Arizona, two states where President Joe Biden scored the first victory for a Democratic presidential candidate in three decades last year, have emerged as the epicenters of the GOP’s attempts to curtail voting rights in 2021.

Offline

#92 2021-03-04 01:06:32

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

The House Is Poised to Pass a Major Voting Rights Bill—and Create a Helluva Battle in the Senate
A key front in this political war: the filibuster.


https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 … he-senate/


With a supercharged assault on voting rights that includes introducing more than 250 new laws aimed at restricting voting in 43 states, the Republican Party this year has initiated a nationwide crusade against the foundation of American democracy. This week, House Democrats in Washington launched a counteroffensive that will soon move to the Senate, where this critical fight will likely lead to an all-out battle over how that chamber conducts its business.


snip


The bill would go a long way toward thwarting the new GOP voter-suppression efforts by enacting a wide range of pro-voter measures for federal elections. This includes nationwide automatic and Election Day registration; two weeks of early voting in every state; the expansion of mail-in voting; the restoration of voting rights to people convicted of a felony who have served their time; restrictions on discriminatory voter-ID laws and voter purges; and the creation of independent redistricting commissions for House districts to prevent extreme gerrymandering.


snip

Offline

#93 2021-03-04 01:24:14

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Mr. Malone and many others show up here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D … dorsements

Offline

#94 2021-03-04 01:26:08

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

I am totally disgusted that, as far as I can tell, not a single solid journalism team in this country seems interested in exposing Mr. Malone's destructive impact.  I have tried contacting:

TYT (The Young Turks)
Greg Palast
probably a couple of others.

Just very little response.

Offline

#95 2021-03-04 02:25:14

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

murdoch wrote:

I am totally disgusted that, as far as I can tell, not a single solid journalism team in this country seems interested in exposing Mr. Malone's destructive impact.  I have tried contacting:

TYT (The Young Turks)
Greg Palast
probably a couple of others.

Just very little response.


In case you didn't. Try vice.com, theintersept.com or washpost.com or motherjones.com or rawstory.com
Make sure you give them some solid background about what's been going on

Offline

#96 2021-03-04 11:12:41

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Texas and Mississippi Governors’ Lifting of Mask Mandates Is a Gift to the Coronavirus
This is exactly what public health experts have warned against.


https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 … ronavirus/



While there is reason to be hopeful—vaccines are here—now isn’t the time to let our guard down, they said. In fact, they told me, easing restrictions now could give the virus even more opportunity to accumulate dangerous mutations.
I talked to three experts: Joseph Fauver, a genomic epidemiologist and associate research scientist at the Yale School of Public Health, Sarah Otto, an evolutionary biologist and a professor in the Department of Zoology at the University of British Columbia, and John Swartzberg, a clinical professor emeritus specializing in infectious diseases and vaccinology at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health. They told me that relaxing restrictions now could seriously impede our progress in fighting the virus:

Offline

#97 2021-03-05 13:36:50

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Tallex wrote:
murdoch wrote:

I am totally disgusted that, as far as I can tell, not a single solid journalism team in this country seems interested in exposing Mr. Malone's destructive impact.  I have tried contacting:

TYT (The Young Turks)
Greg Palast
probably a couple of others.

Just very little response.


In case you didn't. Try vice.com, theintersept.com or washpost.com or motherjones.com or rawstory.com
Make sure you give them some solid background about what's been going on

Thanks, I'm not sure I have stamina for it, but I will consider it.  I'm really demoralized on this point.  Still I am a subscriber to NY Times and WashPost and the Guardian phone app, so before I cancel to economize, I'll maybe contact them.

Offline

#98 2021-03-06 13:25:24

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Republicans Are Gaslighting The Country About The Capitol Riot
GOP lawmakers are desperately trying to deflect blame away from Donald Trump and themselves.


https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/rep … cec15d8b73



Some Republicans, such as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), have admitted what actually happened.
“They stormed the Senate floor. They tried to hunt down the speaker of the House. They built a gallows and chanted about murdering the vice president,” McConnell said in February. “They did this because they had been fed wild falsehoods by the most powerful man on Earth ― because he was angry he’d lost an election.”

But others are compiling a growing list of distractions, excuses and alternate theories of the day’s events, hoping that as time passes, the public forgets what actually went on.

Offline

#99 2021-03-06 20:45:56

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Tallex wrote:
murdoch wrote:

I am totally disgusted that, as far as I can tell, not a single solid journalism team in this country seems interested in exposing Mr. Malone's destructive impact.  I have tried contacting:

TYT (The Young Turks)
Greg Palast
probably a couple of others.

Just very little response.


In case you didn't. Try vice.com, theintercept.com or washpost.com or motherjones.com or rawstory.com
Make sure you give them some solid background about what's been going on

I sent an email to the New York Times and the Washington Post asking that they look into whether there's a story there.  It was a somewhat involved email.  I am exhausted of this and do not have energy to do any more.  It is bewildering and demoralizing to me that such disgusting toxic voices could so brazenly pull the things they've done and be supported (probably, to some extent, if only indirectly with a steady megaphone) in that effort by such a powerful crony, and nobody in professional journalism would aggressively look into this and report capably (one way or the other) on it.  I should not have to do all this work to kick off an effort to do stories on this.  The solid old school investigative news organizations should do it without such an effort to prompt them.

The story is there for the taking, if an upstart wants to look into it.  I don't know whether (or to what extent), upon investigation, it will be found that Mr. Malone should be held somewhat responsible for this horrifying situation, but I do know it is worth a look.

Last edited by murdoch (2021-03-06 20:49:07)

Offline

#100 2021-03-06 22:54:58

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

murdoch wrote:
Tallex wrote:
murdoch wrote:

I am totally disgusted that, as far as I can tell, not a single solid journalism team in this country seems interested in exposing Mr. Malone's destructive impact.  I have tried contacting:

TYT (The Young Turks)
Greg Palast
probably a couple of others.

Just very little response.


In case you didn't. Try vice.com, theintercept.com or washpost.com or motherjones.com or rawstory.com
Make sure you give them some solid background about what's been going on

I sent an email to the New York Times and the Washington Post asking that they look into whether there's a story there.  It was a somewhat involved email.  I am exhausted of this and do not have energy to do any more.  It is bewildering and demoralizing to me that such disgusting toxic voices could so brazenly pull the things they've done and be supported (probably, to some extent, if only indirectly with a steady megaphone) in that effort by such a powerful crony, and nobody in professional journalism would aggressively look into this and report capably (one way or the other) on it.  I should not have to do all this work to kick off an effort to do stories on this.  The solid old school investigative news organizations should do it without such an effort to prompt them.

The story is there for the taking, if an upstart wants to look into it.  I don't know whether (or to what extent), upon investigation, it will be found that Mr. Malone should be held somewhat responsible for this horrifying situation, but I do know it is worth a look.

Perhaps what Malone is doing with his stations can (theoretically) be ok under the auspices of "free speech" and others don't want to touch it.
I wouldn't give up but it may take sometime for a journalist to take up the story.
I certainly wouldn't expect an instant response.
You also have to take it in to account that he is likely to be a multi billionaire and other interests might not want to rock the boat so to speak because of concerns with law suits..or worse.
Again I wouldn't give up but I think this sub topic needs it's own heading and separate stickiness.
I set up "democracy is fragile" for much wider purposes to sort of bring back that political edge we had in the old group.
I am contemplating moving these Malone posts to their own sub heading as the democracy is fragile heading deserves it's own space as well.

Offline

#101 2021-03-09 00:50:19

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

New Hampshire GOP Takes Aim At An Influential Voting Bloc: College Kids
Legislation in New Hampshire would make it harder for out-of-state college students, who account for 70% of its university population, to vote there.


https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/new … 97db28eba2





New Hampshire’s sizable population of college students has long been a target for Republican lawmakers there, and the push to limit student voting rights has intensified along with broader GOP crusades against ballot access this year. Like GOP state legislatures in other states, New Hampshire Republicans have latched onto former President Donald Trump’s favorite conspiracy theories in an attempt to justify their efforts.

Offline

#102 2021-03-09 22:29:33

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Tallex wrote:

Perhaps what Malone is doing with his stations can (theoretically) be ok under the auspices of "free speech" and others don't want to touch it.

I'm sure there are plenty of free speech issues inherent to productive discussion and debate around the topic of inciting insurrection, but even assuming it's all above-board and legal, this isn't the end of the matter.  While I think the recourse of some of us is limited, this is an extreme situation and we need to avail ourselves of our legal options:
boycotts
shareholder activity
plain old public airing of grievances.
perhaps an appeal to equally powerful billionaires (Bezos, who owns the Washington Post, is potentially a player in some of these matters).
etc.

Tallex wrote:

I wouldn't give up but it may take sometime for a journalist to take up the story.
I certainly wouldn't expect an instant response.

It's clear that some investigative journalists actually think they are doing everything possible to get this country back on track.  Yet, there is a man who may (or may not) be more responsible for poisoning the brains of a larger number of Americans than perhaps anyone on Earth, and none can look into it.  So, yes, if there are any brain cells in those journalists and editors, and if I'm paying them (which I am)..... then yes, I expect them to get off their complacent asses and look into this.  It may be nothing, or it may be the story of a lifetime for them (if they know how to approach it, which is a different matter), or maybe somewhere in between.

Tallex wrote:

You also have to take it in to account that he is likely to be a multi billionaire and other interests might not want to rock the boat so to speak because of concerns with law suits..or worse.

Yes, that makes sense.

Tallex wrote:

Again I wouldn't give up but I think this sub topic needs it's own heading and separate stickiness.
I set up "democracy is fragile" for much wider purposes to sort of bring back that political edge we had in the old group.
I am contemplating moving these Malone posts to their own sub heading as the democracy is fragile heading deserves it's own space as well.

My fallible recollection is I had asked if this could be a sticky.  I don't know anything about the democracy is fragile idea, but if you want to break off one or the other, that's not my decision, but the ask from me is if the Malone topic can stay a sticky, one way or the other.  It's not a negative to me at all if you break it off from democracy is fragile and give it is own space.

Offline

#103 2021-03-09 22:57:33

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

murdoch wrote:
Tallex wrote:

Perhaps what Malone is doing with his stations can (theoretically) be ok under the auspices of "free speech" and others don't want to touch it.

I'm sure there are plenty of free speech issues inherent to productive discussion and debate around the topic of inciting insurrection, but even assuming it's all above-board and legal, this isn't the end of the matter.  While I think the recourse of some of us is limited, this is an extreme situation and we need to avail ourselves of our legal options:
boycotts
shareholder activity
plain old public airing of grievances.
perhaps an appeal to equally powerful billionaires (Bezos, who owns the Washington Post, is potentially a player in some of these matters).
etc.

As to boycotts, it is not just of his radio station advertisers, but also of the Atlanta Braves and Formula 1 and the advertisers with those business (I guess he has a chunk of both of them).  I'm not suggesting that a meaningful number of fans of the Braves or Formula 1 would be able to stay away from their sport because of this situation, but it is not an everyday situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38723001
Bernie Ecclestone removed as Liberty Media completes $8bn takeover
By Andrew BensonChief F1 writer
Last updated on
23 January 201723 January 2017.From the section Formula 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brav … 9520070517
Liberty Media completes Atlanta Braves purchase
By Reuters Staff
U.S. Regulatory News
May 17, 20074:25 AMUpdated 14 years ago

So, I don't know exactly how he would handle it, but if he doesn't respond well to losing money, then perhaps the fans of these sports could be apprised that the principal owner of their sports is also backed by a guy who had significant responsibility for backing Donald Trump and for backing some of the pundits who were critical to Mr. Trump's continued influence.

Another point: Glenn Beck.  I thought that we were rid of him from the mainstream airwaves?  A rare successful boycott by many activists.  And yet here he is, all over the place again.  How much did Mr. Malone have to do with that?

Another theme here which we can recognize for recurring throughout our political discussions and news over the years is the assumption that it's just the free market, and if these shows weren't making money, then they wouldn't be on the air.  While it's possible he's simply playing to money, I suspect it's also possible Mr. Malone is sacrificing some profits in some cases to provide some support for these guys being on the air.  This is not to say it ends the complaint against Mr. Malone if that's not true.  Even if he's just cold-bloodedly seeking profit, perhaps he could find a less unethical less destructive less deadly way to do it.

Last edited by murdoch (2021-03-09 23:38:31)

Offline

#104 2021-03-10 21:25:39

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

January 6 Evidence

For updates and feedback:


https://jan6evidence.com/#/e



https://jan6evidence.com/#/gallery

Offline

#105 2021-03-14 14:33:15

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Again, just to be clear, if you want to split up "democracy is fragile" from the "Clear Channel John Malone" topic, it's fine by me, no worries.  And if you don't want to do it, that's ok too.  If you want my opinion, they'd probably be a bit better off apart.

Offline

#106 2021-03-15 20:01:40

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

The Useful Idiot: Why We're Not Done With Trump Yet
America, we got lucky. On the laundry list of things Donald Trump has been terrible at, transforming our country into a fascist autocracy was only the latest.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/tru … a5dba1e428

Orange Man bad.

How many times did Trump’s various apologists toss that one out as a rebuttal to any and all criticism? You won’t acknowledge his good policies because Orange Man bad.
Well. Yes, actually, the Orange Man was bad. Indeed, not just bad, but truly horrific, on so many levels.


snip


If the Orange Man had been good, he would have won the election and would not have needed to try and steal it, and then — both amazingly yet not at all amazingly — attempt an actual coup.
“The sanctity of elections is a foundational, nonnegotiable principle in a constitutional republic. Trump showed that he absolutely did not accept that principle, and tens of millions of Americans were eager to follow his lead.”

Offline

#107 2021-03-16 21:34:40

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

good one

Tallex wrote:

The Useful Idiot: Why We're Not Done With Trump Yet
America, we got lucky. On the laundry list of things Donald Trump has been terrible at, transforming our country into a fascist autocracy was only the latest.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/tru … a5dba1e428
[...]

Offline

#108 2021-03-16 21:43:27

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

By the way,

1.  Huffington Post appears now to be owned by Buzzfeed:
https://techcrunch.com/2020/11/19/buzzf … -huffpost/
BuzzFeed acquires HuffPost
Anthony Ha@anthonyha / 11:43 AM MST•November 19, 2020

2.  Also, Buzzfeed is talking about listing on the public markets.
https://www.businessinsider.com/buzzfee … ave-2021-3
BuzzFeed in talks to go public through merger with 890 Fifth Avenue, a SPAC focused on media and telecom
Tyler Sonnemaker
Mar 10, 2021, 4:21 PM

Neither one of these is a bad thing as far as I know.  In fact it can be argued that we must hope the better sources of news and analysis and insight are able to seek and get a profit, and hopefully this will help them remain independent-minded.  However, the idea of tracking iHeartMedia and Liberty Media (and for that matter Fox and such) is to keep an eye on who owns which media outlets and how that plays a role in the course of events, including sometimes a terrible role.

Offline

#109 2021-03-16 22:36:04

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

murdoch wrote:

By the way,

1.  Huffington Post appears now to be owned by Buzzfeed:
https://techcrunch.com/2020/11/19/buzzf … -huffpost/
BuzzFeed acquires HuffPost
Anthony Ha@anthonyha / 11:43 AM MST•November 19, 2020

2.  Also, Buzzfeed is talking about listing on the public markets.
https://www.businessinsider.com/buzzfee … ave-2021-3
BuzzFeed in talks to go public through merger with 890 Fifth Avenue, a SPAC focused on media and telecom
Tyler Sonnemaker
Mar 10, 2021, 4:21 PM

Neither one of these is a bad thing as far as I know.  In fact it can be argued that we must hope the better sources of news and analysis and insight are able to seek and get a profit, and hopefully this will help them remain independent-minded.  However, the idea of tracking iHeartMedia and Liberty Media (and for that matter Fox and such) is to keep an eye on who owns which media outlets and how that plays a role in the course of events, including sometimes a terrible role.




Yes I know buzzfeed bought huffpost and one of their first actions was getting rid of huffs comment section which was quite disappointing for many...and I mean many..
I'm sure they saved a lot of cash getting rid of their numerous moderators but by gutting their comments buzzfeed is not going to make the
site more popular. I'm sure they have disappointed
millions by doing that. As far as I'm concerned it was a HUGE mistake.
They also cancelled huffpost.ca Canada and if one has noticed over the past few years they (huffpost.ca) have posted many more supposedly controversial political posts there that strictly related to u.s. politics.
Seemingly preferring that platform to the u.s. issue perhaps to not agitate some u.s. readers  and act as a bit of "distancing" from the u.s. version. Really sad that they cancelled it all.
Just deleted the entire section with no advanced notice and IMHO it was a huge mistake.
There was a real community there with known regular posters and an assortment of RW nut cases and various other sane posters who made the "place" quite interesting.
Comment sections are great as they give one a wide representation of view points and allow one to gauge how others think.
It was a great microcosm of society and allowed one to get a wide cross section of divergent viewpoints.
I've noticed some, particularly RW nuts already signed up with thehill.com and others and are already being confronted by veteran sane posters revealing once again how warped they are.
Interesting and entertaining to read some of these
crazy people get put in their place once again only on another platform.
It was a really stupid decision for buzzfeed to get rid of theirs.

Now if we can just get some of the 10,000+ people here to contribute a little it would be good.

Offline

#110 2021-03-17 14:46:11

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Thanks, I didn't realize all that was going on.  I'll take it back, apparently it was not a fully ok thing that buzzfeed bought huffpost.

Tallex wrote:
murdoch wrote:

By the way,

1.  Huffington Post appears now to be owned by Buzzfeed:
https://techcrunch.com/2020/11/19/buzzf … -huffpost/
BuzzFeed acquires HuffPost
Anthony Ha@anthonyha / 11:43 AM MST•November 19, 2020

2.  Also, Buzzfeed is talking about listing on the public markets.
https://www.businessinsider.com/buzzfee … ave-2021-3
BuzzFeed in talks to go public through merger with 890 Fifth Avenue, a SPAC focused on media and telecom
Tyler Sonnemaker
Mar 10, 2021, 4:21 PM

Neither one of these is a bad thing as far as I know.  In fact it can be argued that we must hope the better sources of news and analysis and insight are able to seek and get a profit, and hopefully this will help them remain independent-minded.  However, the idea of tracking iHeartMedia and Liberty Media (and for that matter Fox and such) is to keep an eye on who owns which media outlets and how that plays a role in the course of events, including sometimes a terrible role.




Yes I know buzzfeed bought huffpost and one of their first actions was getting rid of huffs comment section which was quite disappointing for many...and I mean many..
I'm sure they saved a lot of cash getting rid of their numerous moderators but by gutting their comments buzzfeed is not going to make the
site more popular. I'm sure they have disappointed
millions by doing that. As far as I'm concerned it was a HUGE mistake.
They also cancelled huffpost.ca Canada and if one has noticed over the past few years they (huffpost.ca) have posted many more supposedly controversial political posts there that strictly related to u.s. politics.
Seemingly preferring that platform to the u.s. issue perhaps to not agitate some u.s. readers  and act as a bit of "distancing" from the u.s. version. Really sad that they cancelled it all.
Just deleted the entire section with no advanced notice and IMHO it was a huge mistake.
There was a real community there with known regular posters and an assortment of RW nut cases and various other sane posters who made the "place" quite interesting.
Comment sections are great as they give one a wide representation of view points and allow one to gauge how others think.
It was a great microcosm of society and allowed one to get a wide cross section of divergent viewpoints.
I've noticed some, particularly RW nuts already signed up with thehill.com and others and are already being confronted by veteran sane posters revealing once again how warped they are.
Interesting and entertaining to read some of these
crazy people get put in their place once again only on another platform.
It was a really stupid decision for buzzfeed to get rid of theirs.

Now if we can just get some of the 10,000+ people here to contribute a little it would be good.

Offline

#111 2021-03-22 11:39:09

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Laurence Tribe: Evidence Appears To Support Sedition Charge Against Trump
As for Georgia, Trump "basically tried to steal" the election, the Harvard law professor says.


https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/tru … 2839d5441e


Constitutional law expert Laurence Tribe said on MSNBC Sunday that evidence appears to support sedition charges against former President Donald Trump regarding his role in the Capitol riot.
While various financial cases against Trump are very strong, the Harvard University law professor said they won’t hold him accountable for the abuses he allegedly committed as president. However, far more serious for Trump was the Fulton County investigation into his efforts to overturn Georgia’s vote for Joe Biden for president in the 2020 election.
If Trump is convicted of “conspiracy to commit sedition — which is a fancy way of talking about trying to prevent the government from functioning,” — Trump could get 20 years in prison, Tribe said. A conviction on another charge, which applies to “anyone who gives aid or comfort to insurrection or rebellion,” would be punishable by up to 10 years and permanent disqualification from ever holding any state or federal office.


snip

Offline

#112 2021-03-22 21:18:05

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

I won't hold my breath, and if it does happen, it's possible it will take years, which is a gruesome injustice in itself (wheels of justice turning way too slowly).  But it's still good to see decent rational-seeming thinking and discussion around at least trying to make the various appropriate cases in the rubble of this illegal activity.  I think our country will be better off if those wheels of justice are indeed brought to bear, as they should be any citizen who engages in the crimes that this ex-President did.

Tallex wrote:

Laurence Tribe: Evidence Appears To Support Sedition Charge Against Trump
As for Georgia, Trump "basically tried to steal" the election, the Harvard law professor says.


https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/tru … 2839d5441e


Constitutional law expert Laurence Tribe said on MSNBC Sunday that evidence appears to support sedition charges against former President Donald Trump regarding his role in the Capitol riot.
While various financial cases against Trump are very strong, the Harvard University law professor said they won’t hold him accountable for the abuses he allegedly committed as president. However, far more serious for Trump was the Fulton County investigation into his efforts to overturn Georgia’s vote for Joe Biden for president in the 2020 election.
If Trump is convicted of “conspiracy to commit sedition — which is a fancy way of talking about trying to prevent the government from functioning,” — Trump could get 20 years in prison, Tribe said. A conviction on another charge, which applies to “anyone who gives aid or comfort to insurrection or rebellion,” would be punishable by up to 10 years and permanent disqualification from ever holding any state or federal office.


snip

Offline

#113 2021-03-26 07:47:03

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Georgia Republicans Just Made It Much Harder To Vote
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signed a restrictive new voting bill into law late Thursday, just hours after it passed the GOP-led legislature.


https://www.huffpost.com/entry/georgia- … 93e056fb32


The Georgia legislature passed a sweeping measure on Thursday that will dramatically limit access to voting following continual and unfounded claims of fraud after the state voted Democrat in the 2020 presidential race.
Just hours later, Gov. Brian Kemp (R), who has made voter purges a cornerstone of his career, signed the bill critics have called “Jim Crow 2.0” into law.
The new measure will impose new identification requirements on those who vote by mail, imperiling the 200,000 voters who don’t have a driver’s license or state ID number. It will also limit the use of drop boxes for absentee ballots, criminalize voting groups from giving those standing in line to vote food and water and shorten the period for runoff races.

Offline

#114 2021-03-27 02:51:41

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

so disgusting.  At least we have a President who has the decency to call this out, but it's small compensation.  We've seen the true colors of too many of our fellow Americans over the last couple of years.  As too many have had to say, if you are principled and a politician then you will try hard to win the votes of your fellow Americans, and not just suppress their right to vote.  Nor will you hide behind a disingenuous claim that you are allegedly so concerned about "illegals" voting.

Tallex wrote:

Georgia Republicans Just Made It Much Harder To Vote
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signed a restrictive new voting bill into law late Thursday, just hours after it passed the GOP-led legislature.


https://www.huffpost.com/entry/georgia- … 93e056fb32


The Georgia legislature passed a sweeping measure on Thursday that will dramatically limit access to voting following continual and unfounded claims of fraud after the state voted Democrat in the 2020 presidential race.
Just hours later, Gov. Brian Kemp (R), who has made voter purges a cornerstone of his career, signed the bill critics have called “Jim Crow 2.0” into law.
The new measure will impose new identification requirements on those who vote by mail, imperiling the 200,000 voters who don’t have a driver’s license or state ID number. It will also limit the use of drop boxes for absentee ballots, criminalize voting groups from giving those standing in line to vote food and water and shorten the period for runoff races.

Offline

#115 2021-03-28 14:24:56

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Democrats Assail Georgia Law, Make Case For Voting Overhaul
“This is Jim Crow in the 21st Century,” Joe Biden said about the law that Georgia’s governor signed on Thursday.


https://www.huffpost.com/entry/democrat … 93e05921d1





The emerging brawl over the politics and policy of voting access is swelling like nothing seen in recent years, harkening back to what many Americans may assume are well-settled rules ensuring equal access to the ballot.
But as Republican-controlled state legislatures from Georgia to Iowa to Arizona are taking dramatic action to limit early voting and force new voter ID requirements, the debate in Washington threatens to exacerbate the nation’s cavernous political divides in the early days of the Biden presidency, just as the Democratic president vows to unite the country.
It is expected to be a months-long slog in the narrowly divided Congress, specifically the Senate, where Democrats are, for now, unwilling to muscle their slim majority to change filibuster rules, despite the party’s urgent calls for action.
Instead, the Democrats are prepared to legislate the old-fashioned way, unspooling arguments in lengthy Senate debates, spilling out of the committee hearing rooms and onto the Senate floor, and forcing opponents to go on the record as standing in the way — much as South Carolina Sen. Strom Thurmond was positioned when he filibustered the Civil Rights Act of the last century.

Offline

#116 2021-03-29 07:01:02

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Georgia’s New Voter Suppression Law Is Hit With Its First Lawsuit
Plaintiffs take aim at “unconstitutional burdens on the right to vote.”



https://www.motherjones.com/mojo-wire/2 … arc-elias/



Shortly after Georgia enacted a sweeping voter suppression bill that could make it easier for Republicans to overturn election results, three groups on Thursday announced a lawsuit intended to block the measure. Calling the legislation an effort to impose “unconstitutional burdens on the right to vote”—particularly for Black voters—the plaintiffs accused Georgia Republicans of acting in direct response to former President Donald Trump’s stunning campaign to undo Joe Biden’s 2020 victory in the state.
The voting law has attracted national attention, as well as fierce condemnation from Democrats. Georgia Republicans—much like Republicans in other states where brazen voting restrictions have been introduced—have characterized the law as an attempt to prevent illegal voting, despite longstanding evidence that voter fraud is a largely nonexistent problem.

Offline

#117 2021-04-01 12:27:25

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

My bad...my mistake.
I stated that huffpost had eliminated their comment section.
They didn't. They just eliminated it from the bottom of the page to exclusively to the top comment bubble.



Ex-DOJ Official Says Trump’s In ‘Serious Trouble’ After New Legal Filings
Former acting Solicitor General Neal Katyal says Trump is facing a different kind of legal threat now.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/neal-kat … 05c6623691




The federal lawsuit filed this week blames Trump for the physical and emotional injuries the officers incurred during the insurrection, which was egged on by the then-president and carried out by his supporters.
“Trump, by his words and conduct, directed the mob that stormed the Capitol and assaulted and battered James Blassingame and Sidney Hemby,” the lawsuit stated.

Offline

#118 2021-04-03 12:43:08

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

361 Voter Suppression Bills Have Already Been Introduced This Year
Republicans in state legislatures are dramatically escalating their efforts to restrict voting rights.


https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 … this-year/


Fueled by Trump’s big lie that the 2020 election was stolen and retaliating against Democratic victories in November, Republicans are dramatically intensifying their campaign to restrict access to the ballot.


snip

Arizona legislation would make it more difficult to receive a mail-in ballot and add new requirements for casting one. Florida wants to ban all mail ballot drop boxes, which 1.5 million voters used in 2020. Michigan Republicans introduced eight restrictive bills in a single day, including adding new voter ID requirements for mail voting and prohibiting election officials from sending out absentee ballot request forms to voters.

Offline

#119 2021-04-03 19:26:03

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

This Lawyer Went After Chevron. Now He’s 600 Days Into House Arrest.
Steven Donziger has been detained at home since August 2019.



https://www.motherjones.com/environment … se-arrest/


On Sunday, Donziger reached his 600th day of an unprecedented house arrest that has resulted from a sprawling, Kafkaesque legal battle with the oil giant Chevron. Donziger spearheaded a lengthy crusade against the company on behalf of tens of thousands of Indigenous people in the Amazon rainforest whose homes and health were devastated by oil pollution, only to himself become, as he describes it, the victim of a “planned targeting by a corporation to destroy my life”.

Offline

#120 2021-04-03 20:20:30

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Texas Senate Joins GOP Voter Suppression Push, Passes Restrictive SB 7 Bill
Gov. Greg Abbott has expressed support for the repressive measure designed to curb access to the vote after historic voter participation in 2020.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/texas-se … 85b7776971


Republicans controlling the Texas Senate passed SB 7 on Thursday, a bill restricting Texans’ access to the vote by imposing new limits on early voting, a prohibition on drive-in voting, and making it illegal for officials to send out voter applications, among other restrictions.
The GOP-led voter suppression effort comes after Democrats participated in the 2020 elections at historic levels, with even some traditionally conservative suburbs showing signs of a leftward shift. Following President Joe Biden’s victory over Donald Trump last year, and unsuccessful Republican-led attempts to overturn the results, conservative lawmakers across the country have introduced hundreds of bills designed to suppress the vote, including the repressive law passed in Georgia last week.

Offline

#121 2021-04-04 18:44:08

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

What Georgia’s Voting Law Really Does
The New York Times analyzed the state’s new 98-page voting law and identified 16 key provisions that will limit ballot access, potentially confuse voters and give more power to Republican lawmakers.


https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/us/p … tated.html



The Republican legislature and governor have made a breathtaking assertion of partisan power in elections, making absentee voting harder and creating restrictions and complications in the wake of narrow losses to Democrats.
The New York Times has examined and annotated the law, identifying 16 provisions that hamper the right to vote for some Georgians or strip power from state and local elections officials and give it to legislators.

Offline

#122 2021-04-05 16:26:44

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

Corporations Gave $50 Million To Voter Suppression Backers
AT&T, Comcast, Philip Morris, Walmart, Verizon, GM and Pfizer were among the most prolific.


https://www.huffpost.com/entry/corporat … 72efe86d36


State legislators across the country who have pushed for new voting restrictions, and also seized on former President Donald Trump’s baseless claims of election fraud, have reaped more than $50 million in corporate donations in recent years, according to a new report by Public Citizen, a Washington-based government watchdog group.
Telecom giant AT&T was the most prolific, donating over $800,000 since 2015 to authors of proposed restrictions, cosponsors of such measures, or those who voted in favor of the bills, the report found. Other top donors during the same period include Comcast, Philip Morris, United Health, Walmart, Verizon, General Motors and Pfizer.
The money may not have been given with voting laws in mind, but it nonetheless helped cement Republican control in statehouses where many of the prohibitive measures are now moving forward.


snip

Offline

#123 2021-04-06 17:01:20

murdoch
Member

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

ah yes, I see where you posted it now.

Tallex wrote:

Corporations Gave $50 Million To Voter Suppression Backers
AT&T, Comcast, Philip Morris, Walmart, Verizon, GM and Pfizer were among the most prolific.


https://www.huffpost.com/entry/corporat … 72efe86d36


State legislators across the country who have pushed for new voting restrictions, and also seized on former President Donald Trump’s baseless claims of election fraud, have reaped more than $50 million in corporate donations in recent years, according to a new report by Public Citizen, a Washington-based government watchdog group.
Telecom giant AT&T was the most prolific, donating over $800,000 since 2015 to authors of proposed restrictions, cosponsors of such measures, or those who voted in favor of the bills, the report found. Other top donors during the same period include Comcast, Philip Morris, United Health, Walmart, Verizon, General Motors and Pfizer.
The money may not have been given with voting laws in mind, but it nonetheless helped cement Republican control in statehouses where many of the prohibitive measures are now moving forward.


snip

Last edited by murdoch (2021-04-06 17:02:34)

Offline

#124 2021-04-10 12:47:04

Tallex
Administrator

Re: democracy is fragile-Clear Channel-Iheart-Liberty-media-John Malone

NRCC Uses Menacing Message About Trump To Push Republicans Into Repeat Donations
The National Republican Congressional Committee’s threatening note against unchecking a donation box was slammed as “downright totalitarian.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nrcc-don … 5a6f2c660a


Donors who fail to uncheck the box — including those who haven’t even noticed it — will have money removed from their accounts each month.

The Trump campaign used a similar fundraising tactic for the 2020 election, The New York Times reported over the weekend. The outcry from tricked Trump donors resulted in 530,000 refunds, but the scheme nevertheless allowed the ex-president’s failed campaign the use of what amounted to an interest-free loan, according to the paper.

Offline

Board footer