Home



A huge iceberg that's bigger than New York City broke off near a UK ba / Alt Energy Politics Group / Alternate Energy Resource Network - Community

Alternate Energy Resource Network - Community





Join our alternative energy + green tech community as a member or start a group and help mainstream these important technologies vital to a thriving sustainable future for the planet.

For everyone who wants to start a group, simply register and post a request in any current group and we'll set you up. You get full moderator privileges and full control of your group. We're adding polls, photo galleries and other features that will help you continue your group activities on a fast, free and stable platform. Unlimited FREE storage for files on the way. Groups focused on renewable energy, environment, climate change, alt energy diy, off grid living, tiny homes, container living, sustainable development, hydrogen+fuel cell development, electric vehicles etc and related groups are welcome here.


You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-27 19:46:38

murdoch
Member

A huge iceberg that's bigger than New York City broke off near a UK ba

finally:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/27/world/an … index.html
A huge iceberg that's bigger than New York City broke off near a UK base in Antarctica
By David Williams, CNN
Updated 2:58 PM ET, Sat February 27, 2021

(Yes, I know, it is supposedly nothing to do with global warming.  In the meantime, it was quite a long wait and a dramatic matter for those of us who follow this sort of development, so noting it.)

Offline

#2 2021-02-27 20:18:32

Tallex
Administrator

Re: A huge iceberg that's bigger than New York City broke off near a UK ba

murdoch wrote:

finally:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/27/world/an … index.html
A huge iceberg that's bigger than New York City broke off near a UK base in Antarctica
By David Williams, CNN
Updated 2:58 PM ET, Sat February 27, 2021

(Yes, I know, it is supposedly nothing to do with global warming.  In the meantime, it was quite a long wait and a dramatic matter for those of us who follow this sort of development, so noting it.)


As far as I remember that long crack in the ice that would eventually break free WAS caused by climate change.
If there was no climate warming that crack wouldn't have happened in the first place and it was just a matter of time until it broke free.
(In case I missed your sarcasm, sorry)

Offline

#3 2021-02-28 11:37:54

murdoch
Member

Re: A huge iceberg that's bigger than New York City broke off near a UK ba

Tallex wrote:
murdoch wrote:

finally:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/27/world/an … index.html
A huge iceberg that's bigger than New York City broke off near a UK base in Antarctica
By David Williams, CNN
Updated 2:58 PM ET, Sat February 27, 2021

(Yes, I know, it is supposedly nothing to do with global warming.  In the meantime, it was quite a long wait and a dramatic matter for those of us who follow this sort of development, so noting it.)


As far as I remember that long crack in the ice that would eventually break free WAS caused by climate change.
If there was no climate warming that crack wouldn't have happened in the first place and it was just a matter of time until it broke free.
(In case I missed your sarcasm, sorry)

Thanks, it wasn't sarcasm, but I'm happy to receive the fresh information.  What I was referring to was a slew of stories a year or so ago where in-lock step several news organizations reported carefully that when the ice berg broke away we should not perceive it as a function of climate change.  Here is an example, although it's not a very good one, as I (admittedly fallibly) recall some of the stories were more forcefully trying to "disallow" calling this event a function of climate change.

https://en.mercopress.com/2019/02/26/cr … ate-change
Crack in Antarctica's Brunt Ice Shelf: further evidence of climate change?
Tuesday, February 26th 2019 - 09:18 UTC

What I would say is that if the calving is getting more frequent or higher volume or larger bergs then it probably is a function of climate change, but it is hard to say this.  What the scientists reported in the news stories perhaps might have better said is that it would be hard to link it to climate change for sure without more data.  In my view one could then go further and say: The leading hypothesis at the moment is that when all the data is in, it will be perceived as part of an increase in frequency and/or size, and this increase will also be seen as part of climate change.

I'm not a scientist or engineer, but what interested me also, and what I think is maybe a bit more relevant for our conversations here, was that moment a year or two ago when the stories came out trying in effect to quiet down talk of whether this event was a global warming related event.  It had the impact (as we can see above) of making people like me try to maintain credibility by not assuming it is global warming related, since serious scientists appeared to have made that point.  I'm not sure that was entirely a bad thing, but in retrospect, some of it was.  I'm not sure it was entirely scientific, in itself, but I don't have time to study it or compare it to other things scientists have said on it.

Last edited by murdoch (2021-02-28 11:43:22)

Offline

#4 2021-02-28 11:48:49

murdoch
Member

Re: A huge iceberg that's bigger than New York City broke off near a UK ba

This answers the point better, a comment this past week, from the British Antarctic Survey (BAS)

https://www.bas.ac.uk/media-post/brunt- … ca-calves/
26 February, 2021 Press releases
A huge iceberg (1270 km²) the size of the county of Bedfordshire has broken off the 150-m thick Brunt Ice Shelf, almost a decade after scientists at British Antarctic Survey (BAS) first detected growth of vast cracks in the ice.

"...Change in the ice at Halley is a natural process and there is no connection to the calving events seen on Larsen C Ice Shelf, and no evidence that climate change has played a significant role. ..."

Last edited by murdoch (2021-02-28 12:09:09)

Offline

#5 2021-02-28 11:56:02

Tallex
Administrator

Re: A huge iceberg that's bigger than New York City broke off near a UK ba

murdoch wrote:

This answers the point better, a comment this past week, from the British Antarctic Service (BAS)

https://www.bas.ac.uk/media-post/brunt- … ca-calves/
26 February, 2021 Press releases
A huge iceberg (1270 km²) the size of the county of Bedfordshire has broken off the 150-m thick Brunt Ice Shelf, almost a decade after scientists at British Antarctic Survey (BAS) first detected growth of vast cracks in the ice.

"...Change in the ice at Halley is a natural process and there is no connection to the calving events seen on Larsen C Ice Shelf, and no evidence that climate change has played a significant role. ..."

OK, thanks

Offline

Board footer