This is a 4 minute video overview of MicroGen's energy harvesting products and the 'Internet of Things (IoT)' applications the things the technology can empower. This video was shown at 2013 MEMS Executive Congress in Napa, CA on Nov 7, 2013 . MicroGen was the MEMS Technology Showcase® winner!
MicroGen has developed a low cost 'green' micro-scale power source that scavenges mechanical energy (e.g. ambient vibration) versus chemical energy from environmentally unfriendly materials. This green energy is then converted it to usable electricity. MicroGen's BOLT™ Power Cell and micro-power generators (a.k.a. vibration energy harvesters) can eliminate or extend the lifetime of batteries in autonomous electronics and sensing applications.
Applications include, but are not limited to:
1. transportation systems
[a] powering wireless sensors/electronics in aerospace, automotive, aviation, rail and marine
[b] TPMS and Intelligent Tire - high-use vehicles (trucks, buses, etc.) and passenger cars
2. asset tracking - livestock management, cargo (rail, marine)
3. industrial and building wireless sensors (e.g. machine to machine (M2M) connectivity)
4. powering wireless sensors that monitor civil infrastructure (bridges, dams, etc.)
5. consumer applications:
[a] wearables (extending battery life for health monitoring and gaming)
[b] clothes dryers (wireless humidity sensor in rotating drum)
[c] toys (no batteries = greater child safety and no changing batteries for parents)
6. DoD and Homeland Security applications
For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Please note that acceleration versus time data (slide at 3:24) for the tire and associated tire drawings (slides at 3:20 and 3:24) were produced by IMEC Holst Center in The Netherlands.